"Does this technology [social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace], with its constant demands to collect (friends and status), and ways to undermine our ability to attain what it promises-a surer sense of who we are and where we belong?"
This is an interesting question because it certainly does challenge the conventional definition of a friend. I strongly disagree with Aristotle, who (very simply put) seems to think men are only friends with each other to be pleasant or get some utility from each other. I will agree that often people are friends with each other simply for the comfort each other, but I think true friendship challenges previously conceived notions and also strongly motivates to be a better person. It is certainly true that people influence others to do wrong or otherwise that is not beneficial for them, but I don't know how such a person could still fall under the category of a 'friend' regardless of the perception. I also believe that people can be friends with others that are 'unequal' under the categories that Aristotle defines. Granted modern religion did not exist in his time, but I do believe (to some extents) that religion and other moral values will encourage people to reach out to others that they might not have normally.
As for answering the question presented I do feel that Facebook and MySpace can undermine a healthy view of oneself if it becomes something that one is dependent on. A website can only do so much and/or translate so much and it seems that what people really crave from such sites is true human interaction, which cannot be substituted with online networking. Social interactions and challenges help shape and define what each individual holds as valuable, and this cannot be shown online. While it is easy to click 'save the marmots' it takes the initiative to actually get up and do something to hold such a view. While there are certainly people who felt compelled to start such a 'group', and a few might even do something, the majority of things people simply do so as not to seem cruel. If someone cannot sit in silence with them self then they certainly must not have a true idea of who they truly are. Which is what is really scary.
No comments:
Post a Comment